In surgical procedures, some equipment is of great importance, for instance, scissors. In surgeries, surgical scissors help in opening or cutting of organs and tissues present inside the body or on surfaces.
Scissors have blades that can be curved or straight. They have sharp edges at the working ends that help in the dissection of tissues. They are of different sizes and shapes with different blades or extent of bluntness. Surgeons use different sizes and shapes of scissors as per the requirement of the procedures and operations.
Uses of Scissors in Surgical Field
The notable advantages of scissors in surgical operations are:
• These are beneficial to use while removing or applying bandages on wounds. It also helps to cut materials such as non-biological or adoptive parts.
• Scissors also help to cut papers during operations.
• While adding or removing the stitches, surgical scissors are used.
• It helps in the cutting and removal of sutures.
• Dissecting scissors also helps to differentiate between tissues and in isolation of tissues in order to get more precision during procedures.
• In eye surgeries, scissors that are used are known as iris scissors. These are very delicate in design and help to remove lesions.
Handling of Scissors
In order to hold the scissors, the ring finger of the right hand and right thumb are involved. One can hold them just like the needle drivers. In case, if the arm is pronated or supinated then this holding position helps to balance the scissors.
It is not recommended to grasp the scissors by middle finger and thumb as it is a wrong holding position. Because it will cause you to lose balance and the scissor’s tip can slide towards the other side. The index finger helps to balance or control the scissor while doing operations.